Friday 18 February 2011

My Training Routine

Hi!

Back from another day on the mountain. Got some really nice snow again today so was a great day. The snow is just puking down right now though so hoping for something really special tomorrow.

I'm here in Niseko for two weeks so next Sunday I am going back to Hong Kong again. I am Swedish but have lived in Hong Kong for three years now. Hong Kong has a subtropical climate so skiing is obviously not a part of my normal training routine. I've always been a big fan of most kinds of exercise especially things you can do outdoors. Since I took my NASM personal training certificate though, I have realized the importance of having a good foundation meaning core strength, balance, posture and reactive and stabilizing ability. If you don't have the basics, you can develop muscular imbalances when exercising which eventually will lead to injury. Yoga and Pilates are examples of training that I think is essential to incorporate in a training routine. If practiced regularly it will contribute to the basics I mentioned above. Additionally, it engages all muscles in your body, not just the bigger muscle groups. When you do weight training in the gym for example you only train one muscle group at the time, when combining this with Yoga and Pilates on the other hand, smaller muscles are also engaged. By working on all your muscles, you will get better posture, a more toned body and more calories will be burned both when training and in rest.

A normal week for me would usually include:

1 Session Yoga
1 Session Pilates
2 Spinning Sessions or 2 1-hour hikes (or 1 of each)
1 Session Weight Training

I also do longer hikes (around 4 hours) on the weekends whenever the weather allows it. Hong Kong is great for hiking since there are big national park areas with big height differences which can be very strenuous and hence a great workout:)

I also walk most places, and avoid taking taxis and public transport. You got legs to use them!

Except for the longer hikes I try to limit all sessions to 1 hour and have at least 1 day off a week. Rest is very important, your body needs to recover to get stronger plus your ligaments don't grow as fast as your muscles so if you don't rest you might risk injury.

This is what works for me right now.  I am more set on cardio at the moment since I am doing a 100km hike in November this year and I have recently had a period of more strength training. Remember that my goal is to be healthy and happy so I train because it makes me feel really good and because I enjoy it. I have no vision of looking like a bodybuilder or have zero fat on my body.

It is almost dinner time here for me now and since I am on holiday I am going to enjoy a glass of red now with my friends in front of the fire!

Have a healthy and happy evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment