Saturday 19 February 2011

Go Nuts!

Hi!

I thought I would dedicate a post to my absolute favourite snack - nuts! I luckily don't have a sweet tooth (don't get me wrong I enjoy desserts now and then) and neither am I a fast food junkie. I think this is pretty natural though since my body is used to getting healthy wholesome food and that is why I never crave candy or junk food. I think that the body works the best when you eat regularly to keep the metabolism up and I eat 5-6 times a day; breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes an evening snack. Nuts are my absolute favourite snack since they are healthy, nutritious, filling and easy to take with you everywhere. I always eat unsalted nuts since they are usually healthier than salted. Favourites are: Walnuts, almonds and cashews, sometimes macadamias if I feel like a treat :)

So why are nuts a healthy snack and what are the benefits?
Nuts are one of the best plant sources of protein. They are also rich fibres, and antioxidants such as Vitamin E and selenium. Nuts are also high in and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (omega 3 - the good fats) which have all been shown to lower LDL cholesterol.
The richness in fibres and fat will fill you up and make you feel full faster but the fat is also a reason to the high calorie content so limit your morning and afternoon snacks to a handful!
Now you know what to bring for snacks to school or work tomorrow - Go Nuts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment